Friday, August 1, 2008

Back in my day...

...they let you climb down into the bottom of the Winslow, Arizona Meteor Crater! I know, I did it when I was about 12 years old. My family took a cross-country trip to the southwest and waited patiently for three hours while I boulder-hopped down the walls of the crater, all the way to the bottom and then scrambled back up to the top. Whew!
So when we were nearing Winslow, Arizona I had to pull off and check out the Meteor Crater in 2008. Of course, now they make you pay a hefty fee just to walk up the concrete steps, clasping the handrails all the way to the totally safe overlook to look down into the crater--and certainly no clamboring down into the crater at all. Totally prohibited. As I said to Willis "Back in the olden days, there were a lot less rules." Willis wondered alout if I had to wear a dress when I hiked down into the crater, as didn't girls always have to wear dresses all the time in the "olden days?"
Despite the modern constraints, the Meteor Crater is pretty amazing! After the crater, we toured the Painted Desert in the Petrified Forest National Park.
Check out our photos here.

No comments: