Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Leaving Las Vegas

I could have made that movie! After almost two days in Vegas, I was ready to flee. Too many smoking people, too crowded, and just too, too much. We did have a good time, though, taking in the sights: the light show at the Bellagio was incredibly impressive. Wandering "the strip" and just gaping at everything was fun. We stayed in "old" Las Vegas, so we had to take a bus down to the action on the newer part of the strip. We saw the 61 pound hunk of gold at the Golden Nugget, ate bad steak, and I gambled $15 in the slot machines and won $13. The floor attendant told me that most people gambled $2,000 to win back $50, so I was happy to be down by only $2.00.
With my -$2.00 (not) in my pocket, we left Vegas this morning and arrived at Williams, Arizona, an hour south of the south rim of the Grand Canyon, where we will head tomorrow. Williams is right on our country's famous Route 66, and it was fun to wander around this cowboy town this evening.
We stopped at the Hoover Dam on our way to Williams and wandered dizzily out on the walkway across the dam--quite a feat, this dam is.
And I got my photos posted so check them out!

3 comments:

roxken said...

Your trip covers some of the same ground that Dave and I tromped on our road trip to TX in '01, with our 2 dogs. Have fun on Route 66! If you're headed to New Mexico from AZ, consider staying at Red Rock Campground, right on 66, near Gallup (ph: 505-722-3839). You'll have hiking and bouldering right outside your tent! And Church Rock itself is picturesque.

Joannie Stangeland said...

Great pictures! They make me want to go, go, go...

Stacy said...

Dearest D... I'm committed to following you... and, yes, out of L.V. quickly. The only reason to go there is to drive away and feel liberated while driving somewhere else to hike. I like St. George, Utah. Can't wait for pictures and stories from the Grand Canyon. I await all of your stories and details, so we can follow you... Please do send the reminder emails when you've updated the blog, so I don't space out....